This is a post from 2017. Please visit our blog for the latest from RGCF.
This year we are celebrating our 20th anniversary. We could not have reached this important milestone without the support of donors like you and we thank you for your loyal support.
- Imagine the land RGCF manages at the Los Poblanos Fields for the City of Albuquerque buzzing with the farm activity of Las Huertas graduates on their “incubator acres”.
- Imagine a Community Garden at 100% capacity with individuals, families and sponsored groups such as Tres Hermanas Refugee Farm, a Lutheran Family Services project, and Firewheel Women’s Collective.
- Imagine a remodeled barn for Las Huertas farmer training, community and neighborhood events, such as art shows, lectures, and dinners at the farm.
The ground work has been laid by the staff and board of directors for the visions listed above. We need your financial support to sustain these visions in the future. Here are the facts:
- In two years of programming, Las Huertas has graduated 8 new farmers. This specialized training is not offered anywhere else in the state or the region.
- RGCF has received $30,150 in grant money over the last year directly related to the Las Huertas farmer training.
- Grant monies are tied to programming expenses therefore we rely on donations to meet our operating expenses.
- We need $4000-$5000/month to meet bare minimum costs of operation including staff contractor fees (no raises in three years), utilities, insurance, tractor repairs, water costs, seeds and office supplies. Theft of equipment from the Community Garden this year has cost RGCF $800 that was not budgeted.
We are struggling to meet these costs and need your help. Visit riograndefarm.org/get-involved/donate/ and support Rio Grande Community farm’s ongoing mission of “working to improve the health of our community through sustainable agriculture, wildlife habitat and education” with a tax-deductible contribution today!
With Warm Regards,
P.S. In addition to your donation, please consider joining the Rio Grande Community Farm’s Board of Directors by contacting our Secretary, Debbie Miles at firstname.lastname@example.org.