RGCF is actively seeking new board members to help carry out our mission. Please contact us today if you are interested in attending a board meeting to see if being on the board is right for you!
Rio Grande Community Farm Board Member Job Description
Mission: The mission of the Rio Grande Community Farm (RGCF) is to improve the health of our community through sustainable agriculture, fresh food, and education. We carry out our mission through our work in five strategic areas: demonstrating sustainable urban agriculture, growing food for and with our community, providing education and training opportunities in agriculture, enhancing urban wildlife habitat, and growing and celebrating the farming community.
Position: The Board will support the work of RGCF and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by RGCF’s Executive Director, the Board/Executive Director relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as s/he develops and implements RGCF’s strategic plan
- Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to the board and committee meetings
- Approving RGCF’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the Executive Director
- Assisting the Executive Director and President in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the Executive Director and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing RGCF to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring RGCF’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities RGCF serves
Board Members will consider RGCF a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that RGCF can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, RGCF expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
Board Members will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held monthly and committee meetings will be held as determined.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about RGCF’s mission. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the non-profit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members. Ideal candidates will have savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
Service on RGCF’s Board of Directors is without remuneration.